What are functional foods?
Functional foods are highly nutritious and associated with a number of powerful health benefits. They can protect against certain diseases, prevent nutrient deficiencies, and promote proper body function and development. Many of these foods contain important vitamins, minerals, probiotics, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber. Nutrient-rich foods focus on fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains.
Some of our favourite functional foods include:
- Fruits - Berries, lemons, pomegranate, avocado, oranges, fresh juices
- Vegetables - Broccoli, kale, spinach, asparagus, garlic
- Nuts - Almonds, macadamia nuts, cashews, pistachios
- Seeds - Chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Whole Grains - Brown rice, oats, barley, buckwheat
- Seafood - Wild-caught Alaskan salmon, albacore tuna, farmed oysters
- Fermented Foods - Kombucha, sauerkraut, kefir, kimchi, tempeh
- Spices - Turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, peppermint, rosemary
Visit our market for these nutrient-dense whole foods!